Indiana Open Wheel
Page 3 of 3

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vukovich Drake car (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=12352)

SUPERDUKE 1/4/09 10:43 PM

Re: Vukovich Drake car

Originally Posted by Supermod:
Duke,

According to the website, the Vukovich Drake is for sale, is it Bill that is selling it or has he already sold it?

later,

Bob Mays

BILL HAS IT AND JOHN MECOM WANTS IT AS I SAID!:headbang IT HAS BEEN IN THE VUKOVICH FAMILY ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang

Spud 1/7/09 5:39 PM

Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
BILL HAS IT AND JOHN MECOM WANTS IT AS I SAID!:headbang IT HAS BEEN IN THE VUKOVICH FAMILY ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang

Which John Mecom wants the car? Is it John Jr. or John III? I know both of them love Dirt Cars. I went to the Silver Crown Race in Indianapolis with John III and his sisters a couple of times, we always stood in the infield in turn 1 about 10 feet from the guardrail. I think I liked that better than the 500. Gary B in the Delrose car and Chuck Gurney going at it was a thang' of beauty. Any one got any video or pictures of that?

SUPERDUKE 1/7/09 7:05 PM

Originally Posted by spud:
which john mecom wants the car? Is it john jr. Or john iii? I know both of them love dirt cars. I went to the silver crown race in indianapolis with john iii and his sisters a couple of times, we always stood in the infield in turn 1 about 10 feet from the guardrail. I think i liked that better than the 500. Gary b in the delrose car and chuck gurney going at it was a thang' of beauty. Any one got any video or pictures of that?

??????????????? Call vukovich!!!!!! Hes in indy!!!!!!!!

CLIPPERBILL 12/1/16 4:09 PM

Originally Posted by aXe:
Ok I think I got her now? Here is the Rail job Vukie won a lot in. it is in a restored condition. not sure but last I heard it was owned by some one else in the Family? Of Course Bill may have it by now?
aXe
http://www.internetsalespartner.com/...2_DSCN4351.JPG

Hi

This is a very late reply but hope someone reads it and finds it interesting.

This car presently on display at "Woodland's Museum" located at Paso Robles, CA airport.

I watched Billy V race it at Sacramento, CA "Hughes Stadium" during 1946 and 47. He usually won!

He ran against his brother Eli, Johnny Parsons, Bill Zaring, Edgar Elder, Danny Oaks, Norm Girtz, and others who later became famous.

The 1/4 mi track was very narrow, flat, college running track around a football field.

Very exciting racing!

Bill

Kansasdirtfan 12/2/16 1:23 PM

Originally Posted by CLIPPERBILL:
Hi

This is a very late reply but hope someone reads it and finds it interesting.

This car presently on display at "Woodland's Museum" located at Paso Robles, CA airport.

I watched Billy V race it at Sacramento, CA "Hughes Stadium" during 1946 and 47. He usually won!

He ran against his brother Eli, Johnny Parsons, Bill Zaring, Edgar Elder, Danny Oaks, Norm Girtz, and others who later became famous.

The 1/4 mi track was very narrow, flat, college running track around a football field.

Very exciting racing!

Bill

Thanks for your post, Bill. We lived in Reedley (CA) in 1946 and '47, and although I was only 3 years old at the time, I can remember going to Airport Speedway in Fresno on Sunday nights to watch the gentlemen you named, plus many more whose names would be familiar to many on this forum. Of course, my favorite car/driver combination was the red #1 with Mr. Vukovich at the wheel. He remained a hero of mine long after his untimely death. These Sunday nights cemented my love of motorsports, and short track dirt racing specifically. Even though I don't remember a lot from those days, many of the names have stayed with me.

I have a 1946 Fresno Midget Auto Racing Year Book that includes brief biographies of several of those who raced regularly at Airport Speedway. I'll have this Year Book with me at the Chili Bowl and I'd be happy to share it with any of you old timers (and I use that term affectionately - I'm one too!) who plan to be in attendance. Just PM me and we can arrange a time and place to meet.