IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windom (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=115466)

Agentry10 11/20/20 10:07 AM

Us hillbillies from ky dont know how to read or write but we get our point across 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

berks co 11/20/20 12:13 PM

I agree LAST lap it’s no rules go for it but it has to be the last lap, not the first lap

flagboy55 11/20/20 1:45 PM

Eric, you make a point about the race but the title of this thread is Windom, not Kofoid and Larson. So that’s why we’re discussing it. I’m the biggest USAC apologist there is. No other racing series I would rather spend my money on. That’s not to say they’re perfect, no one is. I love Flo too. But it is kinda fishy that the camera missed it and the full replay was not available last night when I went to watch it. Let’s face it, if Big Daddy intentionally spun out Ricky, it’s unacceptable, regardless of what circumstances are

Will Shunk 11/20/20 3:22 PM

Re: Windom

What goes around, comes around. Not sure what goals Big Daddy has, but episodes like Williams Grove and Bakersfield will weigh heavily on those hiring at the next level. Add to that, he took out a top level shoe with MANY connections at higher levels of our sport. Many eyes are on USAC midgets for talent, so this incident's impact may live on long after the crown is anointed.

Charles Nungester 11/20/20 3:51 PM

I got nothing against Chris. Seen him do amazing things in all three divisions as well as about five or six other drivers on the USAC trails. Also seen a lot of dirty crap. Some intentional, some not by most of em. But it's also a series that comes down to one point or a tie on final nights or four having a shot on the final night for the championship.

I say wow just wow and it's a testament to how hard it is to win one championship. let alone a triple crown.

Of the top five or six Usac drivers I have to say Bacon is the cleanest, Stockon and Ballou as well. Kinda not liking how a few of the guys are racing but won't question their talent.

kinser 11/20/20 6:05 PM

Of the top five or six Usac drivers I have to say Bacon is the cleanest, Stockon and Ballou as well. Kinda not liking how a few of the guys are racing but won't question their talent.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen Bacon feed quite a few people a right rear also. It’s a good thing a lot of these guys are racing today and not 20 years ago. Back then there would be quite a few of them missing teeth and wearing black eyes.

jim goerge 11/20/20 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboat15 (Post 534824)
I remember Jack Hewitt saving Butlers hide from a butt kickin back in the day due to contact on the track.

If I remember right, nasty slide job on Bill Rose, with Rose going out of the ball park between 3 and 4 at Terra Haute. I really think that had Hewitt not put Butler on his 4 wheeler and got him away from that crowd, they would have beaten him badly. That was not the first bad slider Steve had tried.

Bayless74 11/20/20 7:47 PM

Yep, remember that well... and Butler retired.

brsteg 11/20/20 8:04 PM

Running in and just dumping a guy is BS for anything.
If you can throw it in deep and you can get to someone's side it's all fair game and what happens happens.
But if you have to wreck someone outright.. it wasn't your day.and in this case it wasn't your year.
But be doesn't mind to be a chicken squat champion. He keeps it up, he'll eventually find someone to dot his eye.

brsteg 11/20/20 8:11 PM

I just want to make a position clear, if you are talking about a locked down track then IMO the rules change.
It's still chicken to drive in from 4 car lengths back and wipe someone out.
But if they let you get close enough to their bumper to just go in a little deep; then contact to the bumper that moves a guy out of the rubber is fair game.
Line is crossed when you go in so deep you cant make the corner either.

Yes, split second decisions and those cars are hard to drive... But these guys are the best so I expect the best hard fought but fair racing.

(Some folks don't think fair is a thing)

kinser 11/20/20 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goerge (Post 534871)
If I remember right, nasty slide job on Bill Rose, with Rose going out of the ball park between 3 and 4 at Terra Haute. I really think that had Hewitt not put Butler on his 4 wheeler and got him away from that crowd, they would have beaten him badly. That was not the first bad slider Steve had tried.

. Butler was a squirrel that you couldn’t race side by side with. One of the best victory lane interviews I’ve ever heard was Ron Shuman after the Hoosier Hundred when Butler almost took himself, Shuman and Jeff Swindell out on the last lap. Shuman said “ I’ve always heard Steve Butler was the dumbest SOB in racing now I know why “.

jonboat15 11/20/20 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboat15 (Post 534851)
You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay or you can call me Ray Jay etc.... funny old tv commercial. I'll just call big daddy a champ, but where in the world did the moniker big daddy come from???

I watched that video about a year or two ago but never heard the audio. Freaky stuff. Does he like that name?:10:

flagboy55 11/20/20 9:00 PM

After just listening to Chris’s interview at Merced, I’m happy to announce he should have a career as a politician if he should decide to quit racing

Chief Wahoo 11/20/20 10:22 PM

I predict Windom aka, ( Big Daddy, the Bear, or the Canton Clown ) will not sell as many shirts next year and his Boo’s may actually drown out Leary’s :D:

The Old Coyote 11/20/20 10:53 PM

I think USAC should assign the number 3 to Chris Windom for any and all USAC events he participates in regardless of car owner. That way when he just "rattles someones cage", or someone "backs up into him" everyone can see he just carrying the numbers tradition.:):):)

sp6967 11/20/20 11:05 PM

usac triple crown winner, chris windom. who needs cheese with that whine?

PROZ1X 11/20/20 11:09 PM

Agree! The greatest punter of all time! “Ray”. Love it!!!

PROZ1X 11/20/20 11:11 PM

There’s a long story to that and Danica Patrick has the answer!

jim goerge 11/21/20 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo (Post 534878)
I predict Windom aka, ( Big Daddy, the Bear, or the Canton Clown ) will not sell as many shirts next year and his Boo’s may actually drown out Leary’s :D:

Dam Chief I might be horse all year, BOOING ,Leary, KTJ, and now the Canton Clown. I love it , never heard that till now LOL. :5:

Adolph 11/21/20 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goerge (Post 534883)
Dam Chief I might be horse all year, BOOING ,Leary, KTJ, and now the Canton Clown. I love it , never heard that till now LOL. :5:

T-Mez just said in Merced victory lane interview that Windom crashed him at last race. It wasn't just the last lap, Windom was creating his own much needed yellows in those last 10 laps. Bryson was in front of Windom in those last 10 laps. I wonder what caused her to visit the wall. All that was going on and Flo never said a word or showed anything. No fans, so no videos from stands either, but the drivers and USAC know, and we know too. It will forever be tainted.

racenut69 11/21/20 8:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proz1x (Post 534882)
there’s a long story to that and danica patrick has the answer!

:5::5::5:

Josh Spencer 11/21/20 9:19 AM

You couldn’t hold Steve Butler’s driving bag. He had more talent in his pinky than most. Just look up his results and the short amount of time he raced and see if your comment makes sense?!?

Josh Spencer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinser (Post 534875)
. Butler was a squirrel that you couldn’t race side by side with. One of the best victory lane interviews I’ve ever heard was Ron Shuman after the Hoosier Hundred when Butler almost took himself, Shuman and Jeff Swindell out on the last lap. Shuman said “ I’ve always heard Steve Butler was the dumbest SOB in racing now I know why “.

Longtime sprinter 11/21/20 10:23 AM

That’s exactly what I was thinking about. Also wanted to add, a lot of it may be because of the pressure on these guys to win. It’s not a family sport anymore, it’s a high buck business. These young men are competing for the race, but also for a possible opportunity to drive for a high dollar team, and a possible move up the racing ladder, ala Chase Briscoe, Tony Stewart, etc.

kinser 11/21/20 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Spencer (Post 534891)
You couldn’t hold Steve Butler’s driving bag. He had more talent in his pinky than most. Just look up his results and the short amount of time he raced and see if your comment makes sense?!?

Josh Spencer

I was there when he was racing we ran against him all the time. I didn’t say he didn’t have a lot of talent. He did have a lot of talent but a lot of times he would just slam into you and take you out rather than pass you clean. He always had the same excuse “ I didn’t see you “.

ronmil 11/21/20 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goerge (Post 534871)

Jim, I was at Terre Haute when that occurred. The number 25 car that Steve Butler was driving was vandalized by that crowd.

erich45 11/21/20 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinser (Post 534893)
I was there when he was racing we ran against him all the time. I didn’t say he didn’t have a lot of talent. He did have a lot of talent but a lot of times he would just slam into you and take you out rather than pass you clean. He always had the same excuse “ I didn’t see you “.

Well, he did wear some pretty thick glasses.

rockstar5 11/21/20 9:22 PM

Is anyone really surprised? Windom hasn't earned s**t! One of these days he'll do it to the wrong person....

jim goerge 11/21/20 11:12 PM

We all know the old saying What goes around comes back to bite ya in the a$$ ;)

TBarks 11/23/20 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd (Post 534834)
You are a driver it's the last lap and you may have only this one chance in your career to join the USAC Triple Crown list of course you are going to do whatever you have to do to get there. I would say most in the field would do the same thing in that situation.

People may not like it but one thing history will say is Chris Windom USAC Triple Crown winner.

I bet Tim wouldn't have done that.

ISF 11/23/20 3:27 PM

The record will show that Windom won championships in all 3 National touring divisions during his career. If he's comfortable and secure winning it this way and the guy he had to dump to make it happen is okay with it then I reckon it is what it is. But, to many of us who will always remember how this came down it will never hold the same prestige and honor than if he'd have won it without the last lap desperation cheap shot. None of that may mean a damn thing to Windom but to some of us it does.

revjimk 11/23/20 4:47 PM

Is there a video of this? i watched on Flo & I don't think it was shown....

jim goerge 11/23/20 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erich45 (Post 534897)
Well, he did wear some pretty thick glasses.

Every time I read this I crack up. LOL :5:

kinser 11/23/20 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goerge (Post 534946)
Every time I read this I crack up. LOL :5:

Lol me too !!! I was standing about 5 feet from Brian Tyler after Butler took him out at Eldora. Butler said his usual “ I didn’t see you”. Tyler said “ Maybe you need some new glasses” and then punched him right in the face. Lol.

flagboy55 11/23/20 10:30 PM

As the dust settles on this controversy, if I were a racer, I would keep firmly planted in my mind, it’s ok to dump someone. Big Daddy has proven it at least twice. And finally, I’m not a Windom hater.
I hope we can all remember this if perhaps the roles are reversed

sw1911 11/24/20 4:44 PM

Remember this?
A scary incident during the closing laps of the feature event of last weekend’s USAC “Sprint Car Smackdown” at Kokomo Speedway has led to officials of The United States Auto Club (USAC) handing down penalties to one of the series most successful drivers.

The incident that led to the penalties started when Levi Jones made contact with Jon Stanbrough at the end of the front-stretch. The contact sent Stanbrough nearly head-on into the pit entrance gate at the start of turn one. Stanbrough’s car flipped violently back into oncoming racers where it was struck by Robert Ballou which caused his sprint car to flip as well and have the throttle stick wide open. Chad Boespflug was also collected in the huge incident.

Luckily, all drivers exited their cars with only Ballou leaving in an ambulance to receive treatment at a local hospital. After the incident Stanbrough walked down the front-stretch to have a little talk with Jones about what happened. After the race series officials spoke with both Jones and Stanbrough about the incident.

Officials also collected accounts of the incident from attending officials, eyewitness accounts, and track officials. The information collected led USAC officials to penalize Jones for on-track contact deemed to be avoidable and producing a dangerous situation for fellow competitors under section 10.28 of the competition rules. As a result, Jones will be placed under probation for the balance of the National Sprint Car season, with the understanding that further infractions could lead to more severe punishment. Also, Jones and his team will be docked 25 championship points going into the next series’ event at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Illinois this Friday, August 31st.

PIT CART 11/24/20 5:12 PM

I remember that really well, it happened right in front me.

oppweld 11/24/20 5:22 PM

I believe after the fact he later got the points back. Also destroyed in the incident was Ryan Kaplan. I believe Ballou's owner called it quits after that debacle! Had this episode not taken place Stanbrough probably could have been USAC National Sprint Car Champion!

Will Shunk 11/24/20 7:25 PM

Thanks for the memory! I was standing in turn one directly watching the front straightaway with my PA buddies. Jones clearly fed Stanbrough a wheel mid straightaway. Stanbrough landed 3 feet from me. Everyone around this area of the pits saw it and could not believe what they just saw. As for 2020 and beyond, I fear we are aggressively testing the limits to the safety features at our tracks as well as our midget and sprint cars. We really do not need to lose anymore drivers.

flagboy55 11/24/20 10:10 PM

Dang it guys, you’re making it awfully difficult for me to defend my favorite sanctioning body. To be honest I’m having a hard time myself. This and the Buckwalter deal. I’ll give Chris credit, as far as I’ve heard he never said he didn’t commit either infraction.

Stevensville Mike 11/25/20 1:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw1911 (Post 534984)
Remember this?
A scary incident during the closing laps of the feature event of last weekend’s USAC “Sprint Car Smackdown” at Kokomo Speedway has led to officials of The United States Auto Club (USAC) handing down penalties to one of the series most successful drivers.

The incident that led to the penalties started when Levi Jones made contact with Jon Stanbrough at the end of the front-stretch. The contact sent Stanbrough nearly head-on into the pit entrance gate at the start of turn one. Stanbrough’s car flipped violently back into oncoming racers where it was struck by Robert Ballou which caused his sprint car to flip as well and have the throttle stick wide open. Chad Boespflug was also collected in the huge incident.

Luckily, all drivers exited their cars with only Ballou leaving in an ambulance to receive treatment at a local hospital. After the incident Stanbrough walked down the front-stretch to have a little talk with Jones about what happened. After the race series officials spoke with both Jones and Stanbrough about the incident.

Officials also collected accounts of the incident from attending officials, eyewitness accounts, and track officials. The information collected led USAC officials to penalize Jones for on-track contact deemed to be avoidable and producing a dangerous situation for fellow competitors under section 10.28 of the competition rules. As a result, Jones will be placed under probation for the balance of the National Sprint Car season, with the understanding that further infractions could lead to more severe punishment. Also, Jones and his team will be docked 25 championship points going into the next series’ event at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Illinois this Friday, August 31st.

2012. i remember it well, also. Scary moment.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=62418

Page 1311 of the forum. You can follow all threads from there. Levi's penalty was also overturned by USAC later if I remember it correctly. I do recall, however, that I was hoping Stanbrough would have pulled Levi out of his car by his head that night.

And I am not a violent man....

Once again, eight years later, kudos to the Kokomo Speedway track safety crew that evening.