IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Eldora & Usac (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=94768)

minispeed 9/21/16 11:30 AM

As for bargains! Free sauerkraut and a fully stock liquor bar!!!!

Backitin 9/21/16 12:48 PM

Re: Eldora & Usac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RynoK1999 (Post 458719)
Winged or not winged, who cares? Anything that can be complained about on here will be and it's a freaking shame. To throw a fit about a car having more downforce than another is something childish in this world of racing.

Quit bickering about what you can watch race, or you'll barely be able to watch anything race.

This is one of the least thought out posts ever, Who cares ?
Fans of true sprintcar racing do that's who.
With a wing a sprintcar is no longer a sprintcar, everything changes including the complete racing style. Not to mention putting a mass of ugly above one of the most gorgeous cars ever conceived.
Its not complaining its a fact, also a fact that all types of cars don't appeal to everyone. Jeez I like women, so I guess that must mean I aint never seen my share of ugly ones by your thinking.
The real shame that this isn't a real nonwing site like advertised. :3:

John P Huss 9/21/16 3:53 PM

Everyone attending 4 Crown
enjoy it Saturday. Weather
looks good.
Best Regards,
John

motorhead748 9/21/16 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backitin (Post 458798)
With a wing a sprintcar is no longer a sprintcar, everything changes including the complete racing style. Not to mention putting a mass of ugly above one of the most gorgeous cars ever conceived.
Its not complaining its a fact, also a fact that all types of cars don't appeal to everyone. Jeez I like women, so I guess that must mean I aint never seen my share of ugly ones by your thinking.

I'd have to say Ryno is more in touch with reality. If a promotor is trying to strengthen his program (i.e. More fans) and can in turn let the racers earn a little more I'm all for it.
And as for sprint cars being gorgeous? I'd agree the cars from the 60's on back were pretty... But there is a place for them too...it's called a museum.
I'm gonna guess you've never been in a sprint car, especially at Eldora or you would have respect for anyone who has. Chill out dude, it's all good. Be happy that you can go to one of the greatest tracks in the country and watch anything.

Tumey's 55 9/21/16 8:49 PM

This is the most tired debate on this site, wing vs non wing (traditional sprint cars if you prefer). With regards to the event itself, you see all three divisions of USAC in one night at a bargain price. Consider the winged cars a bonus. If you don't like wings you can get up and leave like most sprint fans do for support classes at other tracks.

Instead of expressing displeasure for what it is not, enjoy it for what it is. Having said all this I do understand this site gives everyone an opportunity to express their opinions, tired or not.

RynoK1999 9/22/16 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backitin (Post 458798)

I'm guessing you don't understand the concept of open wheel racing then, just use a little sense. In terms of women, you may not like their face, but you're not gonna walk up and say it in person will you? If putting a wing on it no longer makes it a Sprint Car, what does it become then? If you don't think that "mass of ugly" is a real sprint car, you go strap in at Knoxville and see if you can hold the gas. The 305 weekly show at Knoxville is far better than dare I say it.....Kokomo ;).

Duane Hancock 9/22/16 8:37 AM

I love they added the All Stars!!

Haulinmail 9/22/16 8:53 AM

Just glad theres still a great place to go and see alot of good racing.

motorhead748 9/22/16 9:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RynoK1999 (Post 458875)
I'm guessing you don't understand the concept of open wheel racing then, just use a little sense. In terms of women, you may not like their face, but you're not gonna walk up and say it in person will you? If putting a wing on it no longer makes it a Sprint Car, what does it become then? If you don't think that "mass of ugly" is a real sprint car, you go strap in at Knoxville and see if you can hold the gas. The 305 weekly show at Knoxville is far better than dare I say it.....Kokomo ;).

Go ez on them dude... You'll make them have a heart attack.

GYATK94 9/22/16 10:28 AM

As others have noted, this debate is so old because it's clear nobody is going to be persuaded. I'm on the side of enjoying both wing and non wing, and I don't plan on becoming a purist non winger anytime soon. I also don't foresee any strictly non wing fan on here jumping into wing fandom, which is fine. I can understand their reasons for not wanting to do so.

As others have also said, being appreciative of the fact most of us are in an area with such a variety of sprint car racing is better than partaking in a debate over purist vs non-purist that accomplishes nothing. We've got several dirt tracks in the area with countless races throughout the year. Weekly non wing shows and several USAC events on the non wing side. Many WoO and ASCoC shows in Indiana and in our neighboring state of Ohio on the wing side. We've got all of that but we're concerned about arguing about the two? How about we just go to the kinds of races we want to go to and enjoy them. It's not like the wing and non wing guys are running together routinely through the year. Don't want to watch the wings Saturday? Use the time to check out the souvenir trailers or head to the concession stand. As Charles said, those lines can get long, so sacrifice a few wing heats for some food or shirts. Not wanting to sound like some peacemaker, just tired of this debate that clearly has no solution.

duel 9/22/16 11:38 AM

I'm thinking the early hot laps and quals should give ample time to work the track for the 8pm start of racing Saturday. I would like to find a schedule for Saturday's event beyond 8pm.

flagboy55 9/22/16 12:04 PM

Your probably right 94 but I just can't fathom the inflexibility of some on the opposite sides. We frequently get folks on here lamenting the state of the sport as if it's floundering. Well if they truly are worried about it they should embrace crossover as it will only help make more fans.
Another thing is undeniable, the top less crowd is longer of tooth than the wingers, and you would think they would like the fact that USAC might be getting a little more exposure to potentially younger fans. I'm 53 so I might be looking for a cane sometimes soon. But if I ever get that jaded as to not appreciate both 94, you set your beer down, grab that cane and smack me with it, cause I am certainly in need of an attitude adjustment

miledirt 9/22/16 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 458893)
Your probably right 94 but I just can't fathom the inflexibility of some on the opposite sides. We frequently get folks on here lamenting the state of the sport as if it's floundering. Well if they truly are worried about it they should embrace crossover as it will only help make more fans.
Another thing is undeniable, the top less crowd is longer of tooth than the wingers, and you would think they would like the fact that USAC might be getting a little more exposure to potentially younger fans. I'm 53 so I might be looking for a cane sometimes soon. But if I ever get that jaded as to not appreciate both 94, you set your beer down, grab that cane and smack me with it, cause I am certainly in need of an attitude adjustment

Flag's point about exposure of non wing to the wing crowd is a good one

Charles Nungester 9/22/16 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duel (Post 458891)
I'm thinking the early hot laps and quals should give ample time to work the track for the 8pm start of racing Saturday. I would like to find a schedule for Saturday's event beyond 8pm.

They've almost always ran it, Migets, Sprints, Champ. I think they'll squeeze the All Stars between NW Sprints and Champ. I could be wrong but it ran according to feature lengths. 20lap midget, 30 sprint 50 Champ.

We'll see.

Rob11 9/22/16 3:26 PM

I will likely get crucified for saying this, but I miss the days of the late models being the 4th class. They are what I grew up on, and are my second favorite form of dirt racing. Wings are cool, but down around number 5 of my list of racing favorites. I also used to be the guy that had a "Dirts for Racin', Asphalts For Gettin' There" bumper sticker. I no longer feel that way, so maybe some day the wings will grow on me. :>)

LTFD32 9/22/16 4:05 PM

I would rather see winged sprints than modifieds

david mitchell 9/22/16 4:21 PM

I just saw on Eldora's website that the four classes of cars running on Saturday nite are Hornets, Bandoleros, six cylinders , and Legend cars. Scott Bloomquist is going for the 100,000 bonus. He has four cars ready.All of them painted like his late model.His suspension is over.His hauler was seen in North Star.

i love dirt track racing 9/22/16 4:57 PM

It has been a tough year on the racing schedules this year. We have lost a lot of great racing drivers that makes this sport that happens. Weather is supposed to be great for the weekend and go enjoy the benefits that the drivers and car's owners provide for us racing families. Have fun and enjoy all the great racing events this weekend. Thanks.

Eric Smith 9/22/16 5:40 PM

I'm not too excited about the support class Friday night, but at least the stock cars give you a chance to go to the bathroom. Most of the time, people cringe at 3 support classes. But when the support classes are non-wing sprints, midgets, and the crown cars, I'm sure no one will be upset.

Sprintcarfanatic 9/22/16 5:42 PM

OMG Now ya all see where I coming from. They lost dates for Monster Trucks & Tractor Pulls & I said something about that & I'm a Blasphemer. They actually have MORE Sprints on the card & some act like it's the end of the world, OHHHHHhhhhhh the humanity. Going to try & make both nights since I haven't been anywhere because of the weather. I also didn't like the change of a lot of things there & it looks like some others don't care for change either. Just took them longer or something as near & dear as the 4 Crown. anyways go & enjoy the season is about over.

david mitchell 9/22/16 5:52 PM

Lets move the four crown to union county.1.4 million and you can have it all.Mr. Funk do you have the cash.

flagboy55 9/23/16 12:26 AM

David, bloomer will do well in all those divisions as long as they don't scale him or check his tires.
And Rob, I am happier with the all-stars but I did enjoy the late models too. Jack Hewitt was also an outstanding late model driver at the Big E, and I even remember the Haud buckling up in one at least once. Also have a great memory of Billy Moyer with an awesome run there back when it was a 3 day show. I can't say this is a hundred percent accurate but he missed the Friday night portion. Showed up Saturday and tagged the back of the "B" . I think he drove up to second and made the back of the "A" and won that from like 20th. I still am a late model fan, but will choose open wheel every time

revjimk 9/23/16 2:34 AM

Not taking sides, I like 'em both but prefer wingless, Just a couple of random thoughts:
A) I recall Karl Kinser saying he would never go back to wingless cause winged cars are safer, wing absorbs lots of the impact in a flip. Can't blame him for that....
B) My friend the late Steve Enslow, who owned USAC sprinters in the 1970s, said they used to run both winged & wingless, dirt & pavement. Everybody...that's how the sanction set it up. Wish I was watching the races back then....

racenut69 9/23/16 10:59 AM

lol!
Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 458906)
i just saw on eldora's website that the four classes of cars running on saturday nite are hornets, bandoleros, six cylinders , and legend cars. Scott bloomquist is going for the 100,000 bonus. He has four cars ready.all of them painted like his late model.his suspension is over.his hauler was seen in north star.

interpreter66 9/24/16 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racenut69 (Post 458947)
lol!

I just heard he's running late his tires aren't done soaking yet😏

Hustlin-Hoosier 9/24/16 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 458921)
David, bloomer will do well in all those divisions as long as they don't scale him or check his tires.
And Rob, I am happier with the all-stars but I did enjoy the late models too. Jack Hewitt was also an outstanding late model driver at the Big E, and I even remember the Haud buckling up in one at least once. Also have a great memory of Billy Moyer with an awesome run there back when it was a 3 day show. I can't say this is a hundred percent accurate but he missed the Friday night portion. Showed up Saturday and tagged the back of the "B" . I think he drove up to second and made the back of the "A" and won that from like 20th. I still am a late model fan, but will choose open wheel every time

:6:Was there with our sprint car when Moyer won from the back , an Awesome drive. My Mom liked to watch Late Models as well. Good times. Think we bolted the wing on the next weekend at went to Avilla to race. Racing's Racing !

i love dirt track racing 9/24/16 1:17 PM

Our racing families our headed back to Eldora for some more great racing events. Have fun and enjoy all the great racing events tonight. Thanks.

racenut69 9/24/16 1:21 PM

Have FUN,stealth43k and luckybuc97.....:) :)

NOSTINKINWINGS 9/24/16 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RynoK1999 (Post 458875)

You went outa the ballpark with that last line, and pitched a fuel tank. Ease off the Corn liquor.....BTW a Sprint Car with a wing on is a Winged Sprint Car. Jack Gunn had it right in 1967. He called them Super Sprints. Problem Solved:16

flagboy55 9/24/16 3:45 PM

Hey Rev, I knew Enslow as well was around his cars a lot. Was a good man. Don't remember a lot of wing racing but there was some. Those were the good old days for me

streetglider 9/24/16 5:01 PM

First hot lap session & the track is ALREADY DRY as a popcorn fart !!
Terrible track prep - gonna make for a looong night.

RacinBabe 9/24/16 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetglider (Post 459076)
First hot lap session & the track is ALREADY DRY as a popcorn fart !!
Terrible track prep - gonna make for a looong night.

Sorry to hear that...
Atomic is looking pretty good. 😊

ThrowbackRacingTeam 9/24/16 6:52 PM

That place has the worst dirt and track prep in the country. I learned a while back not to bother going there anymore.

1121 9/24/16 6:59 PM

And yet there's nowhere I'd rather be. Sitting in turn 4 and loving it!

Tom Paterson

sp6967 9/24/16 7:02 PM

"The Desert of Rossburg".from what I have heard through the grape vine or raisin vine in this case is that the Mohave desert is jealous all that dryness.

bmemmer 9/24/16 7:32 PM

It's a dirt track people. Seriously. There is going to be dirt and dust. Don't like it go watch Nascar. Espically if your aren't here and still ******** about track conditions or classes they are running. Thanks for ruining the sport instead of supporting the sport

ThrowbackRacingTeam 9/24/16 7:41 PM

Ruining the sport? Maybe blame the one who prepped the desert.

Nate 9/24/16 8:29 PM

Chose not to go up there for the very reason I'm seeing mentioned. Hope it all works out for you. Lucas Oil Late Model Series feature is coming up at Brownstown. Y'all should know better by now that Eldora is a dust bowl, that's why I didn't make the trip.

Eat and have a good night of racing. have an excellent night

sprintracer82 9/24/16 9:07 PM

In all the videos I have see I'm not seeing much in dust and they keep scrapping lines on the wall. Wish I had a car down there this year.
Nick

streetglider 9/24/16 9:08 PM

I'm a 30 year veteran of Eldora & quit going about 5 yrs ago. Thought I would come back to see the changes to the facility. Little did I know that besides the scoreboard & suites that the track prep is the biggest change. I remember Earl prepping the track & big moist chunks flying in the air instead of dust ! How I long for the days of a big fat heavy cushion to watch DD-Hewitt or Haud bounce off of.