IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Indycars were at IMS yesterday and nobody noticed (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=123933)

767 8/14/23 7:48 AM

Re: Indycars were at IMS yesterday and nobody noticed

I believe this is the final year for the Indy car / Nascar double. I think the Milwaukee race will take its place. maybe not the same weekend. Also did anyone else notice drivers talking about the oval this week?

Hubie48 8/14/23 11:19 AM

I live in Speedway and worked Saturday. Forgot this was the race weekend and drove down Main Street at 11am on my way to home to eat. Traffic was about as bad as rush hour on the roundabout.

unreal

a non event

benvar 8/14/23 11:39 AM

I was there and I thought it was pretty crowed - especially the viewing mounts

jdull99 8/14/23 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubie48 (Post 567741)
I live in Speedway and worked Saturday. Forgot this was the race weekend and drove down Main Street at 11am on my way to home to eat. Traffic was about as bad as rush hour on the roundabout.

unreal

a non event

& how did that compare to the last few years on the oval? I went in 2017 (Kahne's win!); and I actly LIKED how easy it was to get in and out; but ya, for the health of the sport; it would be ideal if at least 80,000 people were there. Races aren't getting over 100,000 really anywhere anymore (except three times that for the INdy 500); so even if 80,000-100,000 made it for the Brickyard, it only looks so good...

Rpracing1 8/14/23 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubie48 (Post 567741)

unreal

a non event

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvar (Post 567742)
I was there and I thought it was pretty crowed - especially the viewing mounts

I think I would put more stock in the opinion of the guy that was there verses the guy that just drove by the event. JMO.

opnwhlmnd 8/14/23 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackduce (Post 567718)
I think so many things do not help. Economy, high seat prices, high gas prices, direction of the USA, no concerts, so many local races and variety races this weekend, And a large depression thoughts food, schooling. and money payments. Also the lack of education and family struction of our youth.
Lynn

Some posts just make you go hhhmmmm. :17:

jdull99 8/14/23 7:36 PM

MAYBE a stretch; but sounds like there is a push in the schools to educate students to fear and hate fuel powered cars...so maybe Lynn is on to something? Its hard to sell tickets to people who do not like or believe in fuel powered cars...

I think that is one of the reasons F1 (popular among millennials - which I know are already an aging generation...I'm almost one of them); runs entire races without fuel stops...they say it was for safety but I think they were maybe trying to hide that fact...

hoosier race fan 8/14/23 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdull99 (Post 567754)
MAYBE a stretch; but sounds like there is a push in the schools to educate students to fear and hate fuel powered cars...so maybe Lynn is on to something? Its hard to sell tickets to people who do not like or believe in fuel powered cars...

I think that is one of the reasons F1 (popular among millennials - which I know are already an aging generation...I'm almost one of them); runs entire races without fuel stops...they say it was for safety but I think they were maybe trying to hide that fact...

It is definitely a stretch to say that about the school where I work. We have an automotive program that has students from 5 different schools. The teacher is excellent and some students in the program have raced during and after high school. Not all of the students are interested in competitive motorsports, but the ones that are tend to like what they are familiar with. Newer, smaller cars with 4 cylinder engines and lots of imports. Compacts, drifting, and some drag racing. Fuel sources and fuel consumption are things they learn about, but it’s definitely not a fear or hatred of fuel powered cars. The program takes students to UNOH every year and they have a variety of programs including dirt and pavement oval racing. Every generation tends to be critical of the generations behind them, but not all is lost with young people today. I’ve worked in 5 different schools, and I’ve connected with students who are race fans at every single one of them. Far too many people preaching doom and gloom because it fits their narrative. The interest in cars and motor sports is still there, it just looks different than how it was for many of us in the past.

ronmil 8/15/23 1:11 AM

I’m playing back the IndyCar race now and it looks like a pretty good crowd. Good racing too.

Hubie48 8/15/23 4:14 AM

to answer the question how did it compare with the last few oval races

steady decline. Plus the infrastructure on how they flow traffic has something to do with it.