IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   IndyCar/USAC Partnership? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=38356)

racephoto1 10/20/10 12:19 AM

Re: IndyCar/USAC Partnership?

I remember when the IRL first started all the open wheel guys had hope. Hewitt, Kinser, Brian Tyler, even Tyce Carlson got a shot. Then engine leases came in, which meant cubic dollars. Goodbye local guys.

I hope the IRL realizes one of NASCARS selling points is that you can see their drivers race other things. Schrader and Bowyer modifieds, Kahne and Stewart still race sprint cars.You have the chace to see the "STARS" run local. How many IRL guys you seen run a weekly show at Eldora or Pevely?

If the IRL wants to succeed, give the fans a reason to show up. Name you can pronounce and drivers you see race on off weekends.

USAC Fan 10/20/10 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racephoto1 (Post 200226)
I remember when the IRL first started all the open wheel guys had hope. Hewitt, Kinser, Brian Tyler, even Tyce Carlson got a shot. Then engine leases came in, which meant cubic dollars. Goodbye local guys.

The damage JJ Yeley did the sprint midget drivers' rep didn't help either.

racefan20 10/20/10 7:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAC Fan (Post 200231)

Why would you say that?

miledirt 10/20/10 7:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAC Fan (Post 200231)

What? He's a triple crown winner in USAC

wright59 10/20/10 8:06 AM

What damage did he do? I was at the 500 and he ran a respectable race from what I remember. Considering He was in Dr. Jack Miller's back-up car. And I don't think the primary car was all that fast.

Seadog 10/20/10 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 200182)
Randy Bernard will be on for the full hour on Dan Kay's show tonight. Tune in to autosportradio.com maybe he will let the cat out of the bag.

In case someone didn't listen last night, Randy said IndyCar will offer a ride to the USAC overall points champion a ride in the FIL for all of the oval events in '11. Right now it's between Clauson and Levi.

That's good stuff IMO.

openwheelKT 10/20/10 8:16 AM

I can understand why people are skeptical….we have heard this song and dance before. I remember one year the winner of a certain USAC race, winning a test with Hemelgarn. I think DD won the race and got the test…..can’t remember exactly. Of course the test didn’t amount to anything more than a test. Others have had tests and nothing happened either. A few years ago the Knoxville Nationals Rookie of Year got some Indy Lights races….that was only done one year. So there has been hope and failure many times. I just feel like this time there is an actual chance for guys to get a real shot. If previous management was announcing this, I would think it’s the same song and dance that leads to nothing. I think the new leader has a chance to make something happen.

I’m not saying this is going to lead to 10 guys being in the Indy 500 field next year or even 5 years from now. However, at least the current leader sees the importance of the short track driver not being cut off anymore. Going to take time, but at least effort is being put into it.

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by wright59 (Post 200242)
What damage did he do? I was at the 500 and he ran a respectable race from what I remember. Considering He was in Dr. Jack Miller's back-up car. And I don't think the primary car was all that fast.

I think Jack Miller was the problem with that primary car. :) Nice guy, but without Crest money, he wouldn't have been there.

I thought Yeley did a good job that year for being a rookie. I was at some practice days and thought he did fine. He did spin on lap 1 of the race, but came back and finished 9th.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadog (Post 200244)
In case someone didn't listen last night, Randy said IndyCar will offer a ride to the USAC overall points champion a ride in the FIL for all of the oval events in '11. Right now it's between Clauson and Levi.

That's good stuff IMO.

I agree it's good and it's a start. I know they were also talking about trying to put something together to get that driver in a car for the 500 as a part of the Lights deal. I'm sure they would like to do that this year, but that might be down the road.

Vukie 10/20/10 8:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 200237)
Why would you say that?

The story was that Yeley was up for the 2nd car at Panther Racing during the Hornish years and he stood up John Barnes for the interview. Barnes wasn't happy. The story went public.

Not sure if the story was true but it was talked about on Indy racing forums a few years back.

ThePurple73 10/20/10 11:27 AM

I always enjoyed watching Jimmy Kite. He made it exciting.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

I think if Sammy Swindell would have had a competitive car he would have done well as an indy driver. He did great in the equipment given.
He seemed to be one of the quickest to adapt I had ever seen.
Others did well early but they were in top equipment to start with.

Gregg 10/20/10 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vukie (Post 200250)
The story was that Yeley was up for the 2nd car at Panther Racing during the Hornish years and he stood up John Barnes for the interview. Barnes wasn't happy. The story went public.

Not sure if the story was true but it was talked about on Indy racing forums a few years back.

What I heard was the opportunity to test at Panther. A test could be something concrete or another empty promise. By this time he was ready to move to Busch/Nationwide Cup. He didn't return Barnes call. Before that he spent around five years looking for IRL rides. The best he could come up with was a really bad-slow Riley&Scott car.

Randy has been to a couple sprint car races this year so at least he knows we are around. I think he wants to help but he is up against the formula car owners mentality and they won't sway easily. Still I hope something comes of this.