IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chain, gang? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=72168)

Bill84 9/27/13 11:03 PM

Re: Chain, gang?

And don't forget to press the outer link tight against the clip to keep it from coming off...

Bill

TQ29m 9/28/13 9:44 AM

You can also buy an inexpensive, hand held rivet spinner, and roll the pin over, just like a chain saw link, 5 minutes and you're done, no more worries. Bob

PatrickMead#13 9/28/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQ29m (Post 353410)
You can also buy an inexpensive, hand held rivet spinner, and roll the pin over, just like a chain saw link, 5 minutes and you're done, no more worries. Bob

I have the motion pro kit and it IS the way to go. It does the small cam chain all the way up to a 640 chain. Very much worth the price.

Bill84 9/28/13 11:57 AM

Must be nice to run the same length chain all the time. I don't have enough adjustment in my rear suspension to cover all the different gear sets I need, so I'm stuck with the clips. It's either that or springing for a couple more chains...

Bill

PatrickMead#13 9/28/13 1:18 PM

I hear ya there. I only really run 1 track so same length chain isn't a big deal, but I have the same issue with hardly any adjustment for gear changes. It'll be a change for next year because I plan to start traveling more so I may go to clips.

DAD 10/1/13 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 (Post 353304)
You can run them but I have had problems with them, and haven't had a problem since. If you do run them make sure they are in the right direction.

The clip is the weakest link, Once had a guy break one while bringing the field around while he was sitting on the pole, talk about a mess.

Honest Dad himself:6::6:

dirtrack 10/1/13 11:42 PM

I run the cheapest stuff on earth. #50 ag chain from Farm & Fleet and use the clip. Haven't lost a chain in 25 years and well over 500 starts. Cost 16 bucks and I replace once at mid season.

Chain breakers often spread the links. Compress the end links back to the right thickness with a channel lock. This will give some clearance and help the clip stay in the groove. I pressure wash the chain weekly, then dry with compressed air. Place a fan on the chain for a few hours, then brush chainsaw bar oil into every pin and roller. I leave the chain on the car while doing all of this.

Sounds crazy, but it has worked for me while running motors up to 1200cc.

Bill84 10/2/13 6:16 PM

In reality, the clip on the master link is just a safety device. The press fit of the side plate should be sufficient to hold the link together, unless you have some very strange stuff going on with your suspension. A long time ago I came back in after a feature race, and the clip was missing off the master link. That's when I realized that it's a good idea to press the side plate back out against the clip after it's been installed. Once you do that it's near impossible to get the clip off. You actually have to press the side plate back away from the clip before you can remove it. If your master link is worn to the point the side plate no longer needs to be pressed on, throw it away. You are running with a ticking time bomb.

Bill

DAVE BOOS 8/30/15 10:24 PM

Anybody ever tig weld a rivet master link on?

Bradleyracing86 8/31/15 2:23 PM

Yes