IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite track that is no longer around (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=1408)

dirtywhiteboy 10/19/07 10:17 AM

Re: Favorite track that is no longer around

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadog (Post 14873)
Is Charlestown (IN) Speedway still around? I remember a very cold and sunny sunday afternoon many years ago at the James/O'connor race and Sheldon Kinser won. Track was very slicked off. I got pictures of Susie and Sheldon in victory lane hidden away somewhere. Kinda remember it was mainly a LM track.

According to whowon.com, there is no track listed in Charlestown, IN

SHORTBUS 10/19/07 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy (Post 14904)

IT WAS THERE :Steer

dirtywhiteboy 10/19/07 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHORTBUS (Post 14910)
IT WAS THERE :Steer

I used their tracks by state listing on their website. It may have been there before but it isn't listed as an active track unless it is known bya different name.

If I am wrong I apologizze

But of course they still list the RCA dome and that hasn;t hosted races in a while. Sadly it won't again anytime soon. ANyone remember Team Indiana VS Team USA in the indoor midget shows? Wished I could have seen those

Jerry Shaw 10/19/07 11:46 AM

Jungle Park. Now there's a place I wish I was old enough to have seen racing at. 1/2 mile track. Dirt turns. Paved straighaways. It was a one-of-a-kind place.

Jerry

mortboyz 10/19/07 11:48 AM

May have already been mentioned, but anyone remember the short-lived half mile at White City,Illinois? Built by the Mid-State Motorcycle Club for bikes, it was an extreme "paper-clip" layout, with an enormous drop off along the back stretch and guardrails only on the turns and front straight:eek:
My last time there was for a...:action-smiley-049:wang sprint car show, which had about 50 cars in the pits and 100 spectators in the stands. Just prior to hots, the bambulance quietly left the grounds and lo and behold, the announcement was made that the show was cancelled due to a lack of safety team.:rolling:
Hmmmm.......wonder if ol' DA was around central IL back in the mid 80's?:D

Mud Packer 10/19/07 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy (Post 14904)

I have been past there a couple of times and I haven't seen the sign that used to be by the road. I checked both Speedways on Line and Chasin Racin and it didn't show up on either one. I planned on going down a number of years ago but the show was rained out. I heard it was mostly a mud cab track but if you enjoy racing that doesn't make it all bad.

Seadog 10/19/07 2:31 PM

I read somwhere that Charlestown is now called Podium One Motorplex.

Indy1808 10/19/07 4:09 PM

1) 1/2 mile dirt north of Champaign Illinois close to Fisher.
2) 1/4 mile dirt at the Champaign County Fairgrounds (inside the 1/2).
3) And of course, Shaheen's Lil Springfield.:checkered:

kevin swanger 10/19/07 4:49 PM

What about McCutchensville in Ohio.It was near Tiffin and held the first speedweek show ever.I never got to see a show but heard lots of stories

Danny Burton 10/19/07 5:51 PM

May as well mention the old Columbus Motor Speedway a/k/a "The Hill", just southeast of town. It closed in 1958 and yes, I can recall going there on a Sunday afternoon.